Search The Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2009

There and Back Again. (From Update 499)

I'm back here in the Fortunato household, drinking coffee and plotting out my life.  I think that tomorrow will be a big day and I'll be sure to say something overly sentimental.  I am sure that you except nothing less from me.  

The joys of flying standby.  I got to the airport a little early, which was unnecessary given the fact that the flight I wanted was delayed for nearly an hour.  The flight was also full and the lady at the gate was not the most, well, what is the word I want to use... gregarious person that I have ever met.  It doesn't matter how many times you use the word "baby" when speaking to me, it doesn't mask your obvious contempt for me nor will it coax me to eat my collard greens. 

She told me that I was not going to get on and that I needed to go all the way back through security and to the front ticket desk and re-list.  She was very matter of fact about how busy she was.  Well I have been involved in a traveling miracle or two, so I decided to stick it out. 

At the end, she called my name and said, "Oh.  You decided to stick around? Well, it looks as if you'll probably get on, So don't go anywhere."  A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "Tatum. You're on."  She said this in a very contrite and humble way.  Good job, lady. 

I sat in the very back corner of the plane.  In this particular model of aircraft you will find a little compartment that is off to the right side of the cabin, dividing about 10 seats from the rest of the plan.  If you are on the same side as this compartment then you are blocked from viewing the rest of the entire cabin. I was behind this wall, in the very back, in the corner.  Next to a bathroom.  No window.  It was like being in a cave.  

A cave of wonders!  

I had no one beside me (imagine that) and so I just slept for most of the flight. Glorious.  Muchos thanks to Anthony Nasser for picking me up.
---------

Jason Tatum.
Regular Updates @ www.jasontatum.org

"Resurgam".





No comments: