Search The Blog

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

A Day In Sevilla (From Tatum Daily Update 482)

I remember this one day that I was in Spain. I'm thinking about it
because it was, in my memory, one of the finer and more serene moments
of my entire life. Some of the best times we can have are the ones
that we are lucid and aware enough to enjoy in that very moment. This
day that I had in Spain was exactly like that.

Our entire group was in Sevilla. There was no other reason to be
there than just to visit, just to travel with the rest of the
program. We toured the gardens and we climbed to the top of the... I
don't remember what it is called. It was a very a large tower. We
walked across the drafty floors of the largest cathedral in Europe and
we marveled at the novelty of orange trees sprung up right in the
middle of a city.

Well, the particular moment that I remember so well was towards the
end of the afternoon. The weather in late February in the south of
Spain was perfect. Our entire group had just met back up and we were
strolling along this river walk, pausing at various points to kick
around the hackey sack. Finally, with the sun starting to make it's
final plunge, I spotted an open air cafe by the river. I stopped and
said, "We have to sit there and have a drink." And we did. We sat
there for an hour or two, just relaxing and talking and enjoying that
ancient town and that lazy old river.

Of course, there was nothing spectacular about that moment, other than
the fact that I was in a strange city far from home with some of my
best friends. But some of the best moments in your life do not have
to be spectacular in order to be remembered as the happiest. I think
the difference maker in that moment, above all else was the fact that
I was able to deeply breathe the air of Sevilla and to enjoy it for
what it was, in the present tense.

I can't wait for the next time that happens. I'm going to be looking
for it, I think.

Tatum.

No comments: