Search The Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2009

On The Road Again






After spending not even 24 hours stationed at the office in Indianapolis, I set sail again, this time lading in West Lafayette, Indiana. I'm at Purdue University.

I rolled into town to see a few folks last night who work at Campus House, a campus ministry at the university.

I had no idea what to expect, so I was shocked to realize that they were putting on a huge event in the middle of the downtown. Campus House decided to buy a coffee shop last year and they completely remodeled it into something incredible. I'm kind of known for being critical and I am not easily impressed by things. In contrast to this fact, I am like a school girl gushing over a Valentine's Day crush when it comes to this coffee house.

It is called "Grey House Coffee & Supply Co." Click the link and see some great pictures that display some of the process of the remodeling. It really is amazing. Everything is pretty much handmade when it comes to the foods. There are crepes, there is gelato, there is great coffee.

They got the coffee shop not as means to be a "Christian coffee shop". What does that mean, anyway? Actually, it is just a coffee house. It is no secret that Campus House owns this fine establishment, but they are not doing this to cram religion down anyone's throat. They just want to be in the community, to be a part of what is going on, and to build relationships. It is a beautiful concept.

And so they put on this street festival last night. Words cannot describe how well put together it was. "Starry Night Music and Arts Festival" was set up outside of the coffee house with two music stages, many tents with artists displays, stations to dress up in silly outfits and take pictures, henna, you get the idea.

Why did they do all of this? Well, its just because they love students and they love Purdue. Just beautiful.

Tomorrow I hit the road again. I'm doing a little talk at Ball State University and lunch with some of the students before I head back to Indianapolis. On Monday I go to Chicago. Huzzah!

More photos: here.

Tatum.

No comments: