Search The Blog

Monday, June 01, 2009

Mornings and Weddings.

From The Daily Update (June 1, 2009).

Good Morning.

Many times you will hear people say that they are not much of a
morning person, and I often wonder if I am in one of those souls. It
takes me a good hour just to get the oxygen flowing again and the
neurons firing their dutiful orders to the rest of my sluggish body.
And while it is true that a cup of coffee is usually just the
beginning of a caffeine stream that flows mightier than the Nile in
the rainy season, I still enjoy the morning. If there is no other
reason for it, then it is this: That when I sit in my chair and read
and eat whatever breakfast staple is in vogue that day, the light is
coming up perfectly in the east and is hitting the deck in such a way
that coats the room in honey. You have to live on the earlier side of
7AM to see it, but I would dare say that it's a miracle worth rising
with, worth shining right along side with.

Speaking of miracles. I saw a wedding this weekend. It was all very
lovely and such. There is no doubt that when I'm a groomsman in a
wedding I can be as cool as a cucumber soaked in vinegar all the way
up into the very beginning of the ceremony, but once it begins, I can
feel every inch of thick black fabric strapped across my frame and it
is something to behold. I desperately wait for the minister to ask us
to bow our heads in prayer so that I can wipe away the sweat forming
at my temples.

One of the highlights was when Dr. Jim Donovan proclaimed during the
service, "In accordance with the Laws of God... and the State of
Georgia... I now pronounce you 'Husband and Wife'. In accordance with
the Laws of God and the State of Georgia? That a way to cover all of
the bases, Dr. Donovan. Better to get them both in there, lest
someone find a loophole.

No comments: